Saturday, May 1, 2010

university

I’ve dedicated almost four lives to the University system and I feel so imprisoned and limited by it. When I was in elementary school, and even high school, teachers brainwashed us that University was somehow “better” than college. Personally, I know so many people who completed their degrees at University, then went to College after because they couldn’t find jobs. I also know people who stop going to University after a few years and decide to go to college or do internships to gain practical skills. University develops writing skills and analytical thinking skills. It does not provide any practical experience- excluding certain faculties of course (such as Nursing or Engineering). I am mostly talking about the Arts faculties- Visual Arts, English, and French. Does learning English really provide you training to be a good elementary school teacher? Sure, it develops your writing skills, however it does not provide any experience with group control for a large classroom. You have to learn those things on your own. Yes, that IS why they have teacher’s college- but that is only a year!

No comments: